What are the most frequently asked questions from Ecochain users?
We frequently get questions from our users on how to use certain features or perform steps in the application.
Here we list a few of your key questions with some of the possible solutions.
First, the common errors that are encountered when using Ecochain are described. At the end of the page we posted FAQ's related to 'results'. Some insights are explained by using video tutorials.
Frequently asked questions and issues
- "My results are different, but I did not change anything in Ecochain": This might be due to a database update. Databases like EcoInvent and others are updated approximately every 6 months. This might result in slightly different reference values in the database, that are used in the purchasing step in Ecochain. When your materials are linked to one of those updated references, the final results of this material can slightly differ as well, which might change your product results a bit.
- "Why can't I see any MKI or CO2 results?": This might be because the account calculation is not completed yet. You can finalize your results by clicking on the recalculate button (also explained on the finalize your LCA's page). Another reason for missing MKI results could be that the account settings are not adjusted accordingly yet. This can be changed under settings > calculation method in the application (also explained on this page)
- "After adjusting a material name in the composition, the old name is still visible in the 'add materials' option list": After a name is changed in Ecochain, the application "thinks" this is a new material and will remember the old name as well. For materials this can be solved by removing the old name under purchasing by using the behind the name, after removing the reference. You should not forget to add the right reference first to the 'new' material.
- "No products match the criteria": This is a statistics error that is formed when products are formed with compositions, but no usages & emissions and/or processes are filled in in the account. This problem can be solved by filling in 0,00000000001 kg of water at company level (at the usage&emissions page). You should then create a process and allocate 100% of this water usage to it. At Process x Product choose the distribution method 'custom' and untick all boxes that occur and click 'save'. Recalculate the account and now all statistics are visible without this process being allocated to the product.
During the implementation process in the Ecochain application, the following error might occur in certain situations.
To quickly solve this error, the following situations and associated possible solutions are described:
- When changing the company name in an existing account: after the error occurs, click the previous page in your browser menu. You'll be back on the settings page, but the company name is changed to what you inserted.
- Error when viewing results, but for another Ecochain user the results look fine: delete cookies in your browser. This might solve the problem.
- When clicking on 'results', an error occurs: When this occurs in a copied account, it might be due to incorrect calculation methods settings. This can be changed under settings > calculation method in the application.
- When errors occur during importing excel files, see below.
Excel and import errors
It is important to realize that the Import/Export function adheres to strict formatting, without which the Ecochain application cannot process the data correctly. The easiest way to ensure that this is the case is to base the imported data on an exported format.
The Excel-format should:
- Adhere to the pre-configured format of Ecochain data at that specific stage of the process. This means that no changes can be made in either the number of columns or column titles
- Not contain any formulas. If the cell value was determined by a formula, please ensure that it is pasted as a value if it is to be imported into Ecochain (use the ‘paste special’ option of Excel);
- Not contain any values that derive from cells that are not within the boundaries of the table. The ‘Look Up’ or referral functions should not be used, as Ecochain will not be able to follow that reference.
Other frequently asked questions are related to results
- How do I get insights into the environmental impact of my product?
- How can I view different impact categories?
- How do I get an overview of the full life cycle of my product?
The following video tutorial explains the 'Results | statistics' page on a "Product level" and addresses the questions above.
How do you benchmark and compare the footprint of products in the results section?
How do you easily search and compare products in the product portfolio?
At Ecochain we are currently in the phase of developing more video tutorials. If you want to have your questions answered via a video tutorial please let us know via: